Message prepared by P.C. Gord Reid #1703, 14 Division, Crime Prevention.
Most thieves look to steal small, expensive easy to carry & conceal items – cash, wallets, purses, credit cards, identification, jewellery and electronic equipment. Remember to take steps to safe guard these items. Don’t give a thief a free opportunity, remember to lock your doors and windows.
• Make sure all doors, windows and skylights to your house and garage are always closed and locked.
• Park your vehicle in a locked garage if possible.
• Keep your vehicle locked at all times.
• Use your exterior lighting. Regularly check to ensure all exterior lighting around your home is powered and operational.
• Install exterior lighting around the complete perimeter of your home if you don’t already have it.
• If you hav e a back alley or easement, be sure no unauthorized person can get into this area.
• Beware of landscaping that may provide cover or concealment for someone lurking around your home.
• Trim back trees and bushes on your property. Make use of hostile plants with thorns to keep out unwanted people.
• Ask your neighbours to keep an eye on your home with the promise you’ll do the same for them. Concentrate on houses where people are away on vacation.
• Be aware of your surroundings and what is going on in your neighbourhood.
• Report any suspicious person(s) or events to the police.
People going away should take extra steps to help ensure home security. Put lights on timers, make arrangements to cancel newspaper delivery, have door to door flyers picked up and have someone check your home regularly. Never leave notes or recorded messages which let people know you are not home.
You should report suspicious people or events to the police at once.
9-1-1 Should be used for the following emergencies:
•Crime in progress – situations where the safety of people or property are at risk
416-808-2222 Should be used for non-emergency situations.
416-222-TIPS (8477) – Crime Stoppers – Report anonymously to police any information regarding a crime (or online at www.222tips.com) Text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).
Further tips follow this link: http://on.fb.me/Zghp5P